The new Chemistry and Forensic Science Building at the University of Rhode Island will provide state-of-the-art research and teaching space for energetic materials, forensic science, energy storage, polymeric materials, and sensors.
Pastore Hall, the original home to the department, was built to accommodate about 800 students in 1953. Today more than 6,000 students are using the facility. Twice the size of the original Pastore, the new 130,000 GSF, four-story building will contain Chemistry teaching and research labs, lecture hall, and classroom space.
The siting links the new north campus district directly back to the center of campus, along a line of site that will soon be a north/south pedestrian path. The path will extend from Eleanor Roosevelt Hall to the new building’s lobby and through to the new north quad. An existing parking lot will become a campus space, tying together the North Campus District with this core.
The building’s massing expresses the campus paths. The lower path serves the lower lobby, general chemistry laboratories, and lecture halls. The upper path joins with a new terrace, through the upper lobby, and on to the upper level teaching labs. The base of the building (teaching) is expressed in simulated stone, and the upper portion of the building (research) is wrapped in horizontal terra cotta bands. A metal clad penthouse has a sloped roof on the South, towards the traditional campus core, and a vertical face of the North, towards the new North Campus.